Thursday, April 17, 2008

CraftyMamaMia's Tips for selling on Etsy

Hello and Welcome to the first edition of "CraftyMamaMia's Tips for selling on Etsy" I will be blogging each week to help my readers with their Etsy Shop, or maybe you don't have an Etsy Shop, but are interested in opening one?

First I want to say selling on Etsy is not easy, you can't just list a few items and expect them to sell within a few days. It can take a month or longer to snag your first real sale.

This guide is for those who would like to make a business out of their Etsy Shop, not just a hobby.
Tip#1 Don't, no matter what even think about listing an item that is not Handmade, or it will be flagged and your shop could be closed. Of course there are 2 exceptions to this rule. You can sell crafting supplies but the first tag must be supplies. And Vintage, it must be at least 20 years old and in good condition of course, and you MUST tag it vintage as the first tag. Do not list any other mass produced items, this ruins Etsy for all of us.

Tip# 2 Photos
Every experienced seller will tell you that if your photos aren't fantastic than than you may not sell anything. When people are shopping online, they can't pick up the item and check it out. Your photos need to make them feel like they are right there with the item. They need to be clear and full of light. Take photos from more than one angle, if you make clothing use a model for pictures or even a manikin, don't just lay them out and snap a photo, buyers want to know how it looks.
If you were unlucky enough to see my shop when it first opened you know that my photos sucked big time. They were blurry and out of focus. I knew that if I wanted to advance I would need a new camera. So I spent $100 on the latest version of Kodak Easyshare. My pictures improved a lot, but I still had to work on them, for months...
Another tip for photos is consistency, either always taking the first picture at a certain angle or using the same background or both. Make them recognizable as one of your listings.

2 comments:

Danelle (Indie Game Lover) said...

Hey! Great start cant wait till next week!

delirious said...

Cool! I've been making alot of stuff and I've yet to actually sell them because I lack of experience. Sure to take note of your post and start soon... but been sooo busy with work!! =(