Monday, April 7, 2008

CraftyMamaMia's Frugal Living Tips


Welcome to this weeks edition of Frugal Living Tips.
Tip #1
Energy Saving Bulbs will help you save money on your electric bill, plus they last 5 years instead of a few months. You can read more about them here.
Tip #2
Making your own Laundry detergent is much cheaper than store bought, I want to share some recipes.

Laundry Detergent
Not suitable for Cloth Diapers
1 cup Borax
1 cup Washing Soda (NOT Baking Soda)
1/2 Bar Fels Natha Laundry Bar (grated with a cheese grater)

Mix the 3 ingredients, and use 1/8 cup per load

Laundry Detergent for Cloth Diapers
1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda (NOT baking soda)

Mix the 2 ingredients, Use 1/8 cup AND a squirt of Dawn (plain original Dawn dish Detergent) per load of Diapers.
Instead of Fabric softener use White vinegar, you do not want to use fabric softener on cloth diapers, residue will build up causing the diapers to stink and leak. (If this happens to you, don't despair, you can strip your diapers by washing them once with detergent and then 2-3 times in hot water with no detergent)

Not sure how to wash Cloth Diapers?
I put wet and soiled diapers in a "dry pail" (a dry pail is a trash can with lid and a waterproof liner, no water. also make sure to dump solid poop in the toilet) every 2-3 days I dump them all into the washer (liner too, after it is empty) and I do a cold rinse, then 1 hot wash with detergent, and 1 more cold rinse with vinegar.
If you have stains, hang them outside in the sun or in front of a sunny window to dry, the sun will bleach out the stains.
To save yourself more money hang them to dry, either inside or outside. I have a line inside and outside, plus a drying rack. I don't particularly like the smell of clothes after drying outside, so I only use the outside line for sunning my diapers to remove stains. I have my clothes line going through my bed room. I try to hang every load of laundry unless dry clothes are urgent.

No comments: